A Texas daycare teacher recently became a victim of flesh-eating bacteria, which caused doctors to amputate his right foot.
Reyes, 26, went to the hospital to get treatment for blisters forming on his foot. What Reyes initially thought to be an injury he sustained at worked, turned out to be flesh-eating bacteria.
"[Reyes] hurt his foot at work, so he thought the swollenness
was due to the injury. After a few days, it was still swollen and he has a blister on his foot, which he thought was caused by his shoe," Reyes' wife, Joseline, told Chron. "He woke up the next day and the blister was covering his entire foot so he went to the clinic, where they told him to get to the emergency room immediately."
The doctors told Reyes he contracted the disease through an open wound from an ingrown toenail. They could
not, however, say for certain where the dangerous bacteria got into Reyes’ wound.
The flesh-eating bacteria are commonly found in brackish or salty water and Joseline said she and her husband had not been to the beach in a year.
perfectly healthy,” she said. “So, it's just weird how all of this happened.”
Following the diagnosis, Reyes got admitted to the hospital on Feb. 23. Joseline said although the doctors tried their best, they could not save his foot.
"The surgeon came to me and told me that they were going to take him up to surgery because they have to check how [his foot] looked inside,” She said. “They said that there was a chance that they may have to amputate, but they were going to
try their hardest not to. Thirty minutes pass and I see the doctor come out. She tells me that she tried to get as much bacteria out but that they had to amputate his foot in order to save his life."
Although losing his foot was hard for Reyes, according
to Joseline, it could have been worse. “I think about it every day — every day he’s been here [in the hospital],” she said. “I think about how I could have lost him.”
She added that although it took time, her husband
is finally ready to move past what the disease cost him and is looking toward the future with a positive spirit.
"He is very eager to start therapy for a prosthetic. He tells me that he's not letting anything stop him from advancing," Reyes’ wife
said. "He's improving more every day. He just really wants to get back to work and go back to a normal life."
A GoFundMe page has been set up for
Reyes’ to pay for his prosthetic foot. In just a week, more than $8000 have been raised of the $11,000 goal.
“As all of you may know, this bacteria can be deadly, and doctors had no option than to amputate his foot before the infection got
into his blood stream,” the page said. “Raúl was not prepared for this, and does not have medical insurance in order to get a prosthetic foot so he can continue living a regular and healthy life.”
A Texas teacher recently became a victim
of a flesh-eating bacteria, which caused doctors to amputate his right foot. In this representational image, Marina Kemelman, Research Associate at the AIDS Vaccine Design and Development Laboratory, collects bacteria transfected with DNA as part of research
at the laboratory's campus in the former Brooklyn Army Terminal in New York City, Dec. 1, 2008. Photo: Getty Images/ Chris Hondros
What Is Necrotizing Fasciitis? Woman Contracts Flesh-Eating Disease After Flu Diagnosis
An Arizona woman remained in the hospital with a highly aggressive form of flesh-eating bacteria shortly after she received a flu diagnosis.
Christin Lipinski underwent treatment after doctors diagnosed her with the flu
Jan. 11. She later complained of increased pain at the trauma center where doctors said she contracted a severe bacterial infection called necrotizing fasciitis. The disease started out as a simple infection, then advanced into a rare, intense, flesh-eating
This progression is more common than one might think. An immune system weakened by the flu is said to be more susceptible to bacterial infections, Dr. Frank LoVecchio, an emergency room physician with Banner Health told KNXV, an ABC affiliate in Phoenix, on Monday.
"The flu doesn't cause necrotizing fasciitis," LoVecchio said. "...You're many, many thousands of times more likely to get the flu this year than necrotizing fasciitis
once in your lifetime."
Lipinski’s suffered life-threating internal damage due to the bacteria. Doctors reportedly performed two surgeries that removed about 30 percent of the dead tissue caused by the infection. Lipinksi remains hospitalized in stable condition.
According to a GoFundMe created in her name, doctors anticipate a lengthy recovery for Lipinski as she will remain hospitalized for several months for precautionary
reasons. She required several more procedures including skin grafts and reconstruction surgery.
As of Monday, Lipinski's GoFundMe raised $6,000 of her
goal of $10,000. All donated funds will supplement Lipinski’s medical expenses, which her insurance never covered. It was uncertain when she would return to work.
Necrotizing faciitis can be deadly as the infection spreads quickly, according to
the Centers for Disease Control and Preventions. The most effective way to combat the bacterium is appropriate antibacterial doses and surgery to extract all diseased tissue. The disease is non-contagious and can enter the skin through cuts. Fever chills,
vomiting, ulcers, blisters black spots, and fatigue are all symptoms associated with the disease.
A woman was hospitalized with a flesh-eating bacteria shortly she contracted the flu. Photo: Getty Images
See also: blob:http://www.ibtimes.com/701259fd-11f4-4860-84df-1a7c46d7f5fc